A consistent conflict I notice throughout the book "Divergent" by Veronica Roth, is trust. It seems that Tris isn't sure who to trust. Just when she gets comfortable or trusts someone, she ends up getting stabbed in the back. It's even like this between her and Tobias! But, they aren't the only characters going through this.
There is a consistent hint to a lack of trust in Tris and Tobias's relationship. Here is an example from page 159. " 'I wish you trusted me enough to tell me things like that.' I do trust you, is what I want to say. But it isn't true- I didn't trust him to love me despite the terrible things I had done. I don't trust anyone to do that, but that isn't his problem; it's mine." This was after Tris confessed she killed Will during the simulation attack. After, Tobias confronts her about relying on each other for trust.
These aren't the only characters with the same issue. Earlier, on page 25, Johanna tries to persuade Tobias's father Marcus, to tell her of the information the Erudite were trying to find. " 'The last time I trusted a faction representative with this info, all my friends were murdered'...' In order to have peace, we must first have trust', says Johanna. 'So I hope you change your mind.' "
Trust is a very complicated topic, it happens everywhere in the world. People always struggle with who they can rely on. That's why it's good to have someone who is trustworthy. They also have to be very close and always makes the right decisions. Hopefully, Tris will figure this out in the book or else she'll have no allies help her overthrow the Erudite.
I really like your organization and the vocabulary you used throughout the piece. You also did a great job summarizing the important parts of the book and using quotes to support your piece.
ReplyDelete